The University of St Andrews and Fife College work in partnership with The Robertson Trust, Fife Education and Children’s Service Directorate of Fife Council and the Scottish Funding Council (through the Reach programme) to deliver First Chances Fife.
This innovative programme aims to raise the aspirations and attainment of identified pupils from P7 to S6 throughout their school journey, with continued support into Further Education (FE) and Higher Education (HE).
There are two programmes; First Chances Foundation and First Chances Senior Phase.
Both programmes are delivered across 13 secondary schools and five clusters (primary schools and secondary school) in Fife. Both programmes currently support over 800 pupils facing barriers from P7 to S6.
Aims and Outcomes
- Increasing access for pupils to positive destinations in FE or HE
- Breaking down barriers to learning
- Closing the attainment gap
- Ensure pupils with barriers to learning access the programme
- Contributing to increasing academic attainment
- Raised aspirations
- Increased access and positive destinations to FE and HE
- Increased self-confidence with their studies and academic ability
- Developed and improved skills (drive, self-motivation, time keeping, etc.)
- Continued support for learners throughout their educational journey